Information about data and data format
- Description of data to be produced e.g.experimental, observational, physical collections, models and their outputs, simulation outputs, curriculum materials, software, images, interviews, surveys, etc
- How data will be acquired e.g. when and where
- How data will be processed e.g. software used, algorithms, workflows
- File formats e.g. justification, naming convention
- Quality assurance and control during sample collection, analysis, and processing
- Existing data e.g. if existing data are used, what are their origins,will your data be combined with existing data and what is the relationship between your data and existing data?
- How data will be managed in short-term e.g. version control, backing up, security and protection, who will be responsible?
Metadata content and format
- Documentation and reporting of data
- Contextual details: critical information about the dataset
- Information important for using the data
- Descriptions of temporal and spatial details, instruments, parameters, units, files, etc.
- What metadata are needed e.g. any details that make data meaningful
- How metadata will be created and/or captured e.g. lab notebooks, GPS units, auto-saved on instrument?
- What format will be used for the metadata e.g. standards for community, justification for format chosen
Policies for access, sharing and re-use
- Obligations for sharing e.g funding agency, institution, other organization or legal
- Details of data sharing e.g how long, when, how access can be gained, data collector rights
- Ethical/privacy issues with data sharing
- Intellectual property and copyright issues e.g. who owns the copyright, related institutional policies, funding agency policies, embargos for political/commercial reasons
- Intended future uses/users for data
- Citation e.g. how should data be cited when used, persistent citation?
Long-term storage and data management
- What data will be preserved?
- Where will it be archived e.g. most appropriate archive for data, community standards?
- Data transformations/formats needed e.g. consider archive policies
- Who will be responsible e.g. contact person for archive?
- Anticipated costs e.g. time for data preparation and documentation, hardware/software for data preparation and documentation, personnel, archive costs
- Funding for costs