Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Ireland Statistics Sources
Central Statistics Office The CSO’s main function is the collection, compilation, extraction and dissemination for statistical purposes of information relating to economic, social and general activities and conditions in the State. It is also responsible for co-ordinating official statistics of other public authorities and for developing the statistical potential of administrative records. The Office exists primarily to meet the needs of Government for quality statistical information. It also serves the needs of the wider national and international community for impartial and relevant information on social and economic conditions.
- Irish Social Science Data Archive (ISSDA)
From the Geary Institute at University College Dublin (UCD) and managed jointly by University College Dublin and the Economic and Social Research Institute an archive of machine readable data sets from surveys and official statistics, including the Central Statistics Office, Economic and Social Research Institute, Eurobarometer, SLAN, opinion polls and more. Some data sets also include links to all published reports.
- The State of the Nations Children (SONC)
The first report on children's lives in Ireland brings together published data from many sources across a variety of areas of children's lives. The report contains information about children's outcomes (including health, educational and social, emotional and behavioural outcomes), relationships with families and friends and support services available to children.
- DataGov is intended to provide easy access to datasets that are free to use, reuse, and redistribute. The portal is operated by the Government Reform Unit of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform.
- Department of Health - Health Statistics These pages contain data and statistics on the health service and the health of the population. Statistics are divided up into topical areas
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development Ireland
Reports and data on Ireland, documents in chronological and topic order.
- UNICEF Ireland Statistics
- Economic & Social Research Institute (ESRI) produces independent, high-quality research with the objective of informing policies that support a healthy economy and promote social progress. The Institute was founded in 1960 by a group of senior civil servants, led by Dr T.K. Whitaker, who identified the need for independent and in-depth research to support the policymaking process in Ireland. The quality of the Institute’s research output is guaranteed by a rigorous peer review process, during which research outputs are examined and critiqued by both internal and external referees.
- Central Bank of Ireland is the main compiler of Irish financial statistics. Their analysis informs the decisions of the European Central Bank, the Government, financial services firms and the public. The Central Bank’s published data and commentary covers areas such as credit and deposits developments, mortgage arrears, interest rates, investment funds, securities issues and quarterly financial accounts.
- National Economic & Social Council - The National Economic and Social Council (NESC) was established in 1973 and advises the Taoiseach (Prime Minister) on strategic policy issues relating to sustainable economic, social and environmental development in Ireland
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - SAFER is a web-based data management application providing access to the EPA's Environmental Research Data Archive.
Statistics Library Guide
Welcome to the Statistics Guide at NUI Galway Library. When looking for statistics it helps to ask 'Who might be interested in or need this data?'. Usually there are a number of agencies that need raw statistics. These might include Government Departments, national agencies and advocacy/consumer groups who are impacted by the topic.
Please note: this page is not intended to be a list of everything available.
European & International Statistics
UNdata is a web-based data service for the global user community. It brings international statistical databases within easy reach of users through a single-entry point.
Zanran - Web Search Engine for Data and Statistics
- European Central Bank - The ECB website "Our statistics" is about euro area and national central bank statistics, and presents a sub-set of available statistics.
- Eurostat - is the statistical office of the European Union situated in Luxembourg. Its mission is to provide high quality statistics for Europe
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) enables users to search for and extract data from across OECD's many databases.
- German Bundesbank - The Deutsche Bundesbank is the central bank of the Federal Republic of Germany. The main business is the monetary policy of the Eurosystem.